Team Knotheads is preparing for our upcoming race on June 14th.
We had our first trail ride last week on single track. I’m not entirely sure we were where we were supposed to be but we didn’t get kicked out. We really didn’t see anyone for that matter. We rode for about an hour and really enjoyed it. We are planning on heading out again this week to another location to practice riding the trails.
Part of our prep is getting the required gear. We have a lot of it, but need more for this next one. It’s longer, more technical, involves a kayak, and is in the summer.
1 cell phone
1 UTM tool
first aid kit
bike pump or CO2 cartridge
multi use tool
red blinky light
hydration pack w/ 70oz bladder
ANY GPS UNIT MAY BE USED DURING 1 ONE OF THE SECTIONS GIVEN AT CHECK IN.
ANY TEAM CAUGHT USING GPS UNIT OUTSIDE OF DESIGNATED SECTION WILL BE DQ’D
- Hydration pack. I’ve been looking at the above Camelbak Aurora. It’s 70 oz, and has extra pockets and can clip on a bike helmet.
- Map case? - We’ve used a gallon plastic bag the last couple of times and it worked fine. This course looks a little more technical and involves a kayak so thinking we might need to upgrade.
- My new bike has tubless tires which I’m still not entirely sure how they work and what I’m supposed to do if I get a flat but I guess I will learn. We do have bike pumps.
- Multi-use tool – I think between the 2 of us we can find one that will work. I have an old one that an employer gave me and it’s likely my partner will have one as well.
- Bike helmet – I learned this weekend that all of the padding on my helmet has disintegrated. I guess after 16 years it’s time to replace it.
- Red blinky light – um. okay. I don’t even know where this goes? On my bike?
And then what to wear? There’s a lot less information out there for adventure races than for triathlons or running. Long sleeves/pants to protect yourself, or more triathlon type clothes so you can dry off quickly and have a little padding for the bike. I’ve been trying to look at some pictures of other races to see what others are wearing. I think I’m going to get a pair of tri shorts and see how that works.
With the event 2 weeks way, I’d better get busy getting some stuff so I can at least test it out a little beforehand!
Got any favorite gear recommendations? What’s the sport you’ve needed the most gear for?